Friday, July 24, 2009

When did bottles become evil????

The newest challenge at the Meyer household is, yep, you guessed it, BOTTLE FEEDING! Not having any other kids, I assumed that bottles are a natural transition. When you boil it all down, you suck and milk comes out. Bottle, breast, doesn't really matter, right? Not with this kid! Anyone out there who has encountered the challenge of switching a breast fed kid to some bottle feedings (not even all feedings, just a few a day) (and not formula, still breast milk) please let me know any trick you used to make taking a bottle less than a national crisis!
What prompted all this bottle feeding stuff you ask? Well, it is back to the real professional world for Angie. Yes, I got a job. I will be working nights on the telemetry unit at St. Lukes. What is telemetry you ask? Basically it is anyone who has a heart monitor on that is not in intensive care. Mostly cardiac and pulmonary patients. I am very excited to put my education to use but a little melencholy about leaving Laney through the night. In order to make the transition easier we wanted to introduce some extra bottle feeding to her now. What were we thinking? The ironic part is that she gets at least 1 bottle every day in order to give her vitamins. Today, absolutely not! We broke into hysterics many times. Every time I put the bottle in her mouth the lower lip came out and this pitiful, tortured cry came out. When I ignored that drama and kept trying the meltdown quickly ensued.
Really, if you have encountered this problem I would love to hear how you solved it without feeling like you were starving the kid to death.
I guess we will get up tomorrow and try, try again! That seems to be basically what parenthood is. Try, try again.

2 comments:

  1. hey!! i work on tele pretty much every night, even though i'm a float! :) they are the floor with the most need right now....anyway, i'm so excited you got a job!!!! congratulations :) you will be great!!!!!!!!!! looking forward to workign with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear what you come up with too. I read that a baby can smell its mother up to 20 feet away and that they prefer to get milk straight from the source, so if they smell mom, they don't want the bottle. We're trying to transition too. I'm going to try leaving the house while Jack feeds Caden. If it works, I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete