Thursday, April 9, 2009


Time for another update!


Probably the biggest advancement for us was that they moved Laney into a crib! She is big enough now that she is able to maintain her body temperature so it is off with the isolette and on to the crib. It is a little ironic because the nurses and doctors were all very excited with this new advancement. When I came in yesterday morning they said, "Laney gets to move into a crib today!" My response was why does she have to do that? I liked the thought of her being in an isolette where everytime someone breathed it didn't land on her! Now she is more exposed to germs and chaos and noise! You would think that an intensive care unit for newborns would be a peaceful and quite place. Not true. They try pretty hard to keep things undercontrol. I will give them that. But there are lots of babies and they all have bells and whistles going off all the time. Not to mention the crying! My goodness full term babies cry alot! So far we have been blessed and Laney is not a crier. She will whine if she is in pain. A whail now and then when she gets a shot but never just crying. I know what you are all thinking. This mom has a rude awakening coming, (you are laughing at me in your head, I know) Very true and I know it is coming but I am going to blame it on the other babies teaching her bad habits! Classic parent response, "Not my kid!" For now she is pretty relaxed and just hangs out sleeping or looking around. I am taking advantage of this time trust me!


Medically, she is great. She received a blood transfusion on Monday and it seemed to help a great deal. Her oxygen requirements have dropped and we have hit a growth spurt. She is averaging 1 to 2 oz per day. As of today she weighs 3lbs. 14 oz. She is filling out and getting more of a baby face. She is starting to breast feed. She doesn't have the stamina to feed all the time so she still receives most of her feeds through her feeding tube. Things are definately looking up though. Feeding is her last big milestone. She has to be able to take her feedings orally for a couple days in a row then we can take her home. This may take a couple of weeks but it is still a great feeling.

She is ready to get out of bed so I will end here. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

2 comments:

  1. She's looking great and what progress she is making. She'll be home with you soon enough. Glad to see she's putting on weight. Can't wait to get out there and see you all! Love, Rene, Suzette, Ashley & Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks wonderful. Thanks so much for keeping us all up to date!
    Love, Carol, Jeff, Drew and Carly

    ReplyDelete